Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Asking my Form 2 students to write Freewriting

Well, asking my students to write freewriting weekly is something worthwhile and meaningful, at least for me, but not for most of them. They might be thinking that i am a tyrant who merely gives instructions without sufficient reasons.

For those who understand me in and out, it goes without saying that they will know i always go for a war after much practice and preparation. To win is easy, all you need to do is to persist till the end. Besdies, one has to ask for directions before going to an unfamiliar place. As the saying goes " Success is belong to those who have thoroughly understood their enemies".

Writing a freewriting is actually to train students'OBSERVATION towards anything that happens around them. On the other hand, it also trains students' MEMORY and CONCENTRATION. The more they write, the better their language will be. The flow of the ideas will come out very fast in a short time if students have used to thinking and observing. In addition, students' maturity will be enhanced day after day.

It serves as a way to release students' tension or a way to express their inner feelings via putting their thoughts into words. I believe that my students will find enjoyment and a sense of achievement upon writing in english.

I am quite happy to see that most of them are really putting their thoughts into words. They will become competent writers, one day, i hope!

Thank you so much for everyone's hardwork. I sincerely hope that you guys will go on moving for acheiveing a higher peak. Thanks to 2D AND 2B students:-)

From: Mr. Yew

6 comments:

Rice Flour said...

I came upon your insightful blog from one of your students. I fully agree that free writing can open the creativity of the students, I had such an experience before during my school days, many moons ago.

I have also noticed that the particular student's English has also improved under your tutelage. I would like to thank you for that. I am sure your students will appreciate your kind guidance you have shown and given to them as a teacher.

GTA said...

Wonderful comment from a stranger who is intelligent and also good in the english language. Million thanks conveyed from my inner heart. However, rice flour is a good name.. i love it. lol

Rice Flour said...

Many years ago after leaving school, my parents pushed me to apply to be an English Teacher, but teaching was never my forte. My dad is a retired English Teacher as well. I never regretted my decision though, but English has helped me in my career over the years.

The beauty of it is that to express oneself, there are so many words to choose from unlike other languages I know where it's only one word per meaning. I know you are a good teacher, I have seen your comments from the homework, you graded for one of your students. Even though you did not correct the grammar but still it's also wise to tell the students to not use flowery language too often, it might kill the storyline. If you get what I mean. :) Nice having you as a friend.

GTA said...

Hi Rice Flour, glad to hear from u and also m delighted to know tat english has helped u a lot. Me too:-) I wil be over d moon if the students can b able to think like tat!

Haha... wise decision u made. If one doesnt have d passion in teachin, d tissues in body wil be killed and students are d victims!

Freewritin is a way to think n write freely... Fluency comes first then only comes accuracy! Therefore, correctin d grammar wil destroy students' interest in d first place. Essay is undoubtedly another story:-)

Best wishes! God bless!
Cheers

jia er said...

Thank you also to u ...I know u want us write freewriting is for ourselves' good.But,our class many of them they did not write by their own!They come to school and borrow their friends' books to copy!I did not know why they can't do by themselves?When I want to collect book with them,I feel very difficult!U know why or not?This is because,they want me to borrow them a book to copy down!I did not want to lend them,so they always talking about my affairs at my back!I am very angry you know!!!But,some students really had put their effort in writing freewriting... ^-^

GTA said...

Dear Jia Er,

Thanks! Haha... It goes without saying that i sure know many of them like to copy. I am like this, if i know something is good, i will move on. I only focus on those who have put in effort and i do hope that those who are hardworking will eventually influece others' attitude! I know it is not easy, changes need time! But, at least, there is a little hope, better than nothing! I am quite satisfied for those who really write and i do appreciate their writing! Mr. Yew has a number of wonderful students, you guys are one of the reasons to keep me moving in teaching line.

God Bless! Cherrs... I am looking forward to reading your freewritings!


Best Regards,
Mr. Yew